DWP: full list of additional benefits you can get if you apply for PIP, including Additional Housing Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support and Working Tax Credit

People with chronic illnesses, including mental health problems, can get help from the state in the form of a Personal Independence Payment (PIP). It currently provides from £97.80 to £627.60 per month, depending on the level of payments granted to an individual.

But this will not be enough to cover everyday household expenses, especially in the cost of living crisis which has seen the prices of food, energy, water, fuel, TV packages/top throughput and just about everything else take a big leap. With this in mind, many ask what other support is available to help them manage.

PIP is paid by the Department for Work and Pensions to people aged 16 and over, who have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability, and who need help with their work daily life or move around. So what other money can you get?

READ MORE: Six Reasons Your Universal Credit Payments May Be Lower

What additional DWP benefits and add-ons are you eligible for if you have PIP?

The DWP says you can get all other benefits except Armed Forces Independence Payment together with the PIP, for example, you could claim both Universal Credit and the PIP and neither would affect the amount of the other – this is because the PIP is independent of any other income or capital you you could have.

The PIP consists of two parts – one for daily living and one for mobility and you may receive either or both components. But if you get Constant attendance allowance you would get less from the everyday life part of the PIP and if you get Mobility supplement for war pensioners you won’t get the mobility part of the PIP.

People benefiting from the PIP can also obtain supplements (called premiums) on the following benefits:

These premiums are as follows:

Disability premium

Not available to those on income-tested ESA

Severe Disability Premium

Turn2Us says that if you or your partner are on the daily living component of the PIP, you have no non-dependents living with you and no one is claiming the Carer’s Allowance or the Carer’s Element of the Universal Credit for s take care of yourself, you could get the Severe Disability Award included in your Income Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) ) related to income. He pays :

Some couples will be eligible for the lower amount of £69.40 per week instead.

If you are in receipt of a contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), you may also be eligible for an income-related ESA top-up if you are eligible for a severe disability premium. This does not apply if you get New Style ESA.

Enhanced disability premium

Additionally, childcare allowance may be available for someone to look after you, Turn2Us points out. So if you are on the daily living component of the PIP, your carer looks after you for 35 hours a week and earns less than £132 a week, they may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance of £69.70 per week. But then you cannot get the severe disability premium included in your benefits if someone is claiming carer’s allowance to look after you.

A caregiver could also benefit from the universal credit assistance element added to their own benefits. If you are on the daily living component of the PIP and your carer looks after you for 35 hours a week, they may be able to claim up to £168.81 a month. But a PIP recipient cannot get the severe disability premium included in their benefits if they have an assistant claiming this element of helper.

Do you think we should cover a story? Email [email protected]